Postal Nightmare - Venezuela

Postal Nightmare - Venezuela

October 15, 2014

Stuart sat in the back of a taxi travelling four hours across the country, having now spent a total of three months in Venezuela. His hope was that this little adventure would allow The Pack Track to continue their journey exploring more of South America.

So where was he going? The city of Bolivar Ciudad, capital of the state of Bolívar. Over 2 months ago we had a brilliant idea, we'd had a lot of faulty electronics (which admittedly were old at the start of our trip and included laptop, camera, GPS and bluetooth comms) and needed a few motorcycle parts which were not easy to obtain in South America. So we decided to place an order online and have it shipped to Venezuela. The plan was sound, international shipping "guaranteed" 3-5 days delivery, we had an address we trusted with our amigo Carlos in El Callao and a plan of how to spend the time constructively while waiting for the delivery to arrive.

So why were we still waiting 2 months later? Well, it all started when we first placed the order. We choose as the most suitable shopping service online and went through the order process. We ran into problems entering an address in Venezuela for delivery, although some sellers do ship to Venezuela most don't and this quickly became apparent. So a new plan needed to be devised. We decided to find someone reliable outside Venezuela to ship to and have them forward to our address here. We quickly learned that a lot of Amazon sellers also don't ship to Australia, so we needed a friend in the USA. This was fine, we had made some very good friends in Texas when we started our trip and our good friend Richard happily accepted our request (I'm not sure he was aware of the nightmare it would turn into). So through the order process we went again, this time using Richards address in Texas. Everything seemed fine, credit card payment accepted, confirmation email received and we felt confident everything would be on its way. The following day however, we received another email from Amazon saying an order had come from a suspicious source (Venezuela!!) and was cancelled along with all related purchase history. WTF??

We could work around this too so we went through the order again and saved the cart for Stuart's brother Greg in Canada to login to our account and finalise the order. It seemed fail proof, however, every time Greg logged in the cart was empty, something to do with the order being created in Venezuela no doubt (Greg is a database developer for Shopify, so his credentials for shopping online and having the correct account are pretty good). The number of items on the order had grown to 36 by this time, mainly made up of small things we had realised would be handy. We didn't want Greg to have to go through and find each items and place the order as its a timely process. We discussed the problem with Greg who came up with a much better plan. Greg set up a Virtual Private Network (VPN) server in Canada for us to use to mask our location and trick Amazon into thinking the order had come from Ottawa. This worked perfectly, the order went through with nothing suspicious for Amazon to get concerned about. We checked our email the next day anxiously expecting Amazon to figure out our cunning plan and cancel the order but only confirmations from the sellers. Yay!!

So now to wait for everything to be delivered. Some sellers had their items delivered very quickly, while others weren't completely honest about the processing time and although we only selected items that would be delivered within 5 days it wasn't until 2 weeks later that all the items were with Richard and ready to be forwarded (Richard said it felt like Christmas had arrived early at his house). Further delays came about due to issues with package size accepted by the courier and required repacking by Richard (sorry Richard) but eventually all items were shipped in 2 separate boxes through USPS as International Priority 3-5 days. By the time the packages were shipped it had been 5 weeks since conception, including deciding what we wanted, ordering, reordering and reordering again with all the delays associated with email communications and the delivery from Amazon. No problemo, everything was on its way, nothing could go wrong now!

It wasn't long before we realised why Amazon has such an issue with shipping to Venezuela. The specified 5 business days passed and online tracking still had the package listed in the USA, surely just an issue with tracking information from Venezuela we thought. Now 2 weeks went by and still no change to the online tracking. While we used the time to explore Venezuela we stayed in contact with Carlos in El Callao, who checked daily with the post office, but never any news. 3 weeks passed and we started to get very worried, our order had turned out to be quite valuable and the thought that it could have been stolen was very real. After 4 weeks we returned to El Callao, very worried the shipment had been lost, this was made worse by the knowledge the shipment was only insured to $200, a fraction of the contents value.

On arrival in El Callao, Carlos informed us of a strike in the postal system which may be partly to blame. This was a huge relief as it meant there was still hope. The following day Carlos travelled to Guayana Ciudad on business, while there he checked at the regional post office which was still operating. Unfortunately still nothing, the post office had no information of a package addressed to him either waiting or in transit. Again we started to believe we were out of luck and began planning our next move. Most of the items were luxuries that, although expensive, we could forego and would not be reordered. All the motorcycle parts could be obtained in Brazil, albeit at inflated prices. So we would move on very disappointed but not allowing the situation to hold us up any longer.

While preparing to depart, we continued to press Carlos for information (sorry Carlos). He had more ideas and spoke to the post office manager about our missing package. Even though on strike and not working in the office, the manager was very helpful and got in touch with customs to see if the packages were waiting clearance. After a few days of investigating he came back with good news. OMG, this was it!!! How do we get our hands on it we asked. The manager had to organise some paperwork for us and we would travel to the customs office in Cuidad Bolivar to collect the packages in person (an 8 hour round trip). Unfortunately for Carlos he had to attend as the packages were addressed to him.

Carlos recommended taking a taxi as the most economical means of travel. The system in Venezuela for intercity taxi travel is similar to bus travel in most countries. Each city has a taxi terminal. Passengers purchase a ticket and jump in the next available taxi going to their destination. Taxi's leave from the terminal regularly and wait times of over 30 minutes are uncommon. These taxi's go flat out, we were travelling at 170km/hr once on good roads; not entirely safe considering the lack of seat belts, multitude of concealed potholes and poor vehicle maintenance and regulations.

So just Stuart and Carlos went, Carlos making all the arrangements and Stuart enjoying the ride. They reached the Aduana (customs office) and everything was looking up, maybe a little too easy. The packages were there waiting, Stuart could see them and even had a look through the contents. What a relief! Carlos was asked to provide the purchase invoice for the contents. Stuart explained that the package was sent from a friend in Texas but they insisted on seeing an original purchase invoice before it could be cleared. This was a minor problem, Stuart had the invoice in his email but nothing on him. The staff allowed him to use their office computer to login to his email and print off the invoices. The staff then explained that all items required an import tax of between 5-15% (mostly 15%) of the purchase price. This was not expected! We'd already paid sales tax in the USA and had proof of this on the invoices. However, it turned out this did not count and in fact the tax we'd already paid would also be taxed. Again WTF!! We're talking hundreds of dollars which had to be paid in Venezuelan Boilvars at the black market rate (they can use the black market rate when its convenient for them). Stuart certainly didn't have that much money on him, so after getting so close he was sent packing with nothing to show.

Carlos and Stuart slid into a taxi again for the four hour return trip to El Callao. As Stuart looked out the window of the taxi at people living a truly hard life, it occurred to him just how good life was for him. He thought about just how minuscule our problem was in the scheme of life and that paying tax twice was the only way people in Venezuela could get just about anything from the outside world. For us, having to pay tax twice just this once and being in a position to be able to afford these items made us extremely lucky, and yet we worry about such trivial problems.

The next day with the required money in hand and prearranged permission from Carlos to pick up goods addressed to him, Stuart rode his motorcycle back to Ciudad Bolivar (leaving at 4am), collected the packages without delay and returned all before lunch. This saw the end of 10 weeks of planning, headaches and stress; the packages were finally in our hot little hands, just in time for early Christmas presents.

This now allows us to make our way to the Brazilan border according to our new schedule with plans to get to Ushuaia at the southern tip of Argentina by Christmas.
If there is a lesson to learn from our experience, its think very carefully about shipping anything to a country with such instabilities as Venezuela and allow time.
Feliz Navidad to everyone from The Pack Track!!!

Leave a comment

Comments will be approved before showing up.

Are you a Dog Person?
Do you Love to Ride?

Click below for more information on how you can take your best friend along on your next biking adventure

Also in Dog Blog

Western Sahara & Mauritania
Western Sahara & Mauritania

January 26, 2017 1 Comment

We crossed the Sahara from Morocco to Mauritania in January. Unlike countless adventure rider predecessors, it was an easy ride for us along an excellent sealed road that runs parallel to the coast through the disputed zone of Western Saraha. We camped in coastal towns all along the coast. The days were sunny and warm and the evenings were cool and perfect for camping. These coastal towns were small, only a few shops and restaurants were geared for tourists so on the pricy side. We decided to make all our meals because we set up in each town for a couple of nights and had the time an inspiration. Generally it was scrambled eggs for breakfast, fruit for lunch and then a tuna Couscous concoction for dinner. Supplies in the mini supermarkets were basic, theres no Trader Joes, Coles or Aldi's. Before we knew it the Sahara was gone. We didn't die of thirst or heat exhaustion, we didn't sink in sand dunes and it was really very pleasant. It would have been fun to deviate from the ro...

Read More

Entering Africa - Morocco
Entering Africa - Morocco

December 09, 2016

The Pack Track entered Africa with great excitment and trepidation. There is so much to see in Africa, such different cultures to explore. But it is a challenging continent (roads, climate, poverty) and a volatile continent (conflict). We had rested enough in Europe and felt ready for the next adventure, not to mention warmer climates! We took the Trasmediterranea ferry from Algeciras to Tangier Med. This is the slow, run-down looking ferry and coincidently the cheapest option at €77 for 2 people and 2 motorbikes.  We'd checked the prices online which indicated a cost for dogs but decided not to book online after our recent ferry debacle in England resutling in a missed ferry, additional 600km+, hotel expenses and more riding in the cold, wet, England rain. So, when we turned up to the ferry terminal in Algeciras we were happily surprised the dogs were allowed on for free and when we were on the ferry, motorbikes tied down in the parking area, the girls w...

Read More

I left my bone in San Francisco
I left my bone in San Francisco

November 10, 2015

We arrived in San Francisco the day before Halloween and intended to stay just two nights before heading south but instead hung around for six days. Who can resist San Francisco, right? A great city is one thing, but what makes a stay "frantastic" is the company. We'd contacted Paige through TentSpace a few days before arriving, Paige had a no bullshit attitude, you wanted to stay with her you picked up the phone and called. We knew from the outset we were going to like Paige. Calling a TentSpace host is actually unusual, most contact to hosts is made via messages, in fact we'd never spoken to a host before arrival in all our prior experience with TentSpace. Janell's bike outside San Francisco's Painted Ladies Paige was a chef and part time property developer. What a combination, not only did she cook amazing meals, she put us up in a house next door which she had recently purchased to renovate. The house wasn't anything to write home about, or was it? There was limited power and ...

Read More